FAFSA Verification is the process where the U.S. Department of Education randomly selects student accounts to confirm the information reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate. This ensures all students receive the appropriate amount of financial aid for which they are eligible.
Note: Schools, such as Central State University, are required to verify demographic and financial data elements reported on the FAFSA.
What Can I Do to Improve My Chances to NOT be Selected for Verification?
• Use the IRS Data Retrieval when completing the FAFSA – It’s the preferred method
• List the correct Social Security Number and Driver’s License Number
• Enter the correct 2019 federal income tax paid – (line 14 minus Schedule 2, line 2)
• List your correct 2019 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) - (line 8b)
• List you and your parent(s) correct marital status
• List Central State as a college you would like to have your FAFSA sent to
• Do not leave tax fields blank – enter “0” instead of leaving blank
• Make sure you and your parent(s) sign the FAFSA using an FSA ID
How Do I Complete and Submit My Verification File?
All selected students must complete the Verification process by submitting their documentation online through our CSU Financial Aid Portal (centralstate.verifymyfafsa.com)
Important - All first-time users must create an account by using the email addresses listed on the FAFSA and a cell phone number to receive important alerts about your account.
Common Documents Requested for Verification
Note: The verification process can be different for each student. Dependent students must provide parental information and independent students are not required to do so. View the strict federal guidelines for independent status at https://studentaid.gov/sites/default/files/fafsa-dependency.pdf
1. All Dependent and Independent Students Must Complete
-Verification Worksheet – available online at centralstate.verifymyfafsa.com
2. Proof of Income Earned for Student
-A copy of the student‘s 2019 W-2 (for each place employed in 2019)
-If filed, a signed and dated copy of the student’s 2019 Federal Tax Return (1040 form). Please include all schedules 1, 2, and 3
3. Proof of Income Earned for Parent - (not required for independent students)
-If filed, a signed and dated copy of the parent’s 2019 Federal Tax Return (1040 form). Please include all schedules 1, 2, and 3
A copy of parent‘s 2019 W-2 is acceptable only if 2019 wages earned are less than:
Single: $12,200 (under age 65) - $13,850 (65 and older).
Head of household: $18,350 (f under 65).
Married filing jointly: $24,400 (if both under 65).
Married filing separately — $5 (any age).
Qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child: $24,400 (if under 65)
NOTE: You are able to obtain a copy of your 2019 Tax Return Transcript via the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. Choose - Get Transcript Online – Create Account – Tax Return Transcript
What Do I Submit if I Did Not Work or File a 2019 Federal Tax Return?
NOTE: All independent students and parents of dependent students must provide proof of income and/or having no income. If you earned more than $12,200, you are required to file a 2019 Federal Tax Return and we cannot accept a VONF from you.
- Obtain a 2019 Verification of Non-filing (VONF) Transcript via the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. Choose - Get Transcript Online – Create Account – Verification of Non-filing Letter (The correct transcript will state there is “no record of return filed” or “no transcript on file”).
-If you are unsuccessful in obtaining a VONF online or via mail – You may submit “A Signed Statement” certifying that the individual did not work or file taxes in 2019. Please be sure to include your name, date of birth, social security number, and phone number on the statement. Also, please include the student’s name and student ID number.
Note: Dependent students who did not file a tax return are excluded from submitting a VONF letter. For more information, please click and this link will download the PowerPoint file directly to your device. Verification and Loan Requirements (PPT)
Priority Deadline for Completing Verification is March 1