Global Education


Study Abroad Options

Faculty-led Study Programs

Central State University professors, in collaboration with the Center for International Education, organize overseas programs that last from seven days to two weeks. A Central State professor leads the program and teaches one course.  Participants earn from one to three credit hours, depending on the length of the program.

Faculty-led Study Programs are right for students who:


Exchange Programs

Exchange programs are based on agreements that Central State maintains with academic institutions around the world. A CSU student takes classes at an overseas institution and a student from that same institution takes classes at CSU. Participants will be enrolled as regular students at the partner university but will pay their regular tuition rate to Central State. Most forms of financial aid apply to the program costs. Students earn direct credit for coursework completed. Exchange programs are available for the summer, semester, or year.

Cost: Students are billed regular CSU tuition plus overseas health insurance by the bursar.  They will need to purchase plane tickets and pay remaining costs (housing, meals, local travel, and personal expenses) at the overseas study site.

Classes: University courses often include both local and international students. If CSU students are proficient, they can also take classes taught in the country's native language.

Registration: Exchange programs offer a wide array of courses, but it is possible that you will not be able to take the exact class(es) you initially selected--you need your academic advisor’s approval for the equivalent courses at the host institution. Registration for classes is usually not possible until after you arrive at the host university.

Assistance: Most partner universities have a supportive international office staff to provide assistance to exchange students.  However, students choosing this type of program should not expect a lot of individual attention. As regular students in the university, they are expected to act independently and contact the international office when they need help.

Living: In many cases, students live in university residence halls or university-owned apartments. Some exchange programs offer a homestay option. Students pay housing charges on-site. 

Traveling: Students on Exchange Programs are free to travel on weekends or during university holidays. Some universities organize trips for their exchange students, but participants in these programs usually plan their own excursions. 

Exchange Programs are right for students who:


Third-Party Providers

Central State students are eligible to participate in a number of study abroad programs that are organized by agencies specializing in international education (Arcadia, CIEE, IES, IFSA, DIS, etc.). Students accepted by these programs, pay the program fees directly to the co-sponsor. Financial aid can be applied to these program costs, and credits and grades are directly transferred to the students' CSU transcripts after successful completion of the program. Co-sponsored programs are available for the summer, semester, or academic year. 

Cost: Students, whether residents or non-residents, pay a comprehensive program fee that usually includes tuition, housing, meals, international health insurance, and a few excursions. Depending on the destination, the program fee may be more, less, or about the same as Central state non-resident tuition.

Assistance: Third-party programs usually have an office, a resident director, and staff that offer a high level of support and assistance to students. 

Living: Depending on the program, students will live in residence halls, apartments, or private homes with local families. 

Classes: Many third-party provider programs are organized specifically for Americans and other international students. Participants may take up to 12-15 courses at the overseas university affiliated with the program.

Registration: Students register for classes either before or after arrival. Many courses offered by overseas universities through third-party providers are developed especially for program participants. Thus, there is a greater degree of certainty regarding the availability and credit transfer of courses—make sure to consult with your academic advisor to be certain that you will be credited for these courses. Unless the program has a language requirement, classes are taught in English. 

Traveling: The program fee often includes excursions and field trips. Most include plenty of time to travel independently on weekends or during holidays. 

Third-party provider programs are right for students who:

• prefer a program designed specifically for U.S. students
• want a lot of on-site support
• prefer to travel with organized excursions

Students with Disabilities
If you have a disability you may be eligible to access services offered at Central State University (CSU) in the Office of Academic Empowerment & Accessibility (OAEA). If you seek accommodations for a disability, you will need to meet with the ADA Compliance Coordinator in the OAEA, preferably before you commence study at CSU and before you leave for the study abroad experience. It is important to note that approved accommodations and services you receive at CSU may not be the same or available in another country. For tips and strategies to consider when choosing to study abroad, visit the Mobility International USA website, which offers great resources for disability-related questions. To speak with someone in the OAEA, contact the ADA Compliance Coordinator at 937-376-6479