Honors Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Honors College Requirements
What are the eligibility requirements to join of the Honors College?

Entering Freshmen

  • 3.5+ unweighted cumulative high school GPA
  • Evidence of extracurricular and/or service activities

Transfer and Current CSU Students

  • 3.5+ unweighted cumulative GPA with 12 or more credits earned
  • Evidence of extracurricular and/or service activities
  • Honors credits and designations from other institutions will transfer

Official Eligibility Requirements

What are the requirements once I am admitted to the Honors College?

Official Designation Requirements

What happens if I am admitted into the College and fall below the required GPA?
  • Contact the Honors and International Advisor immediately
  • Consecutive semesters of falling below the requirements will lead to probation and/or eventual removal from the Honors College
  • Student may lose access to honors scholarships and honors housing.
  • Students who graduate with a cumulative GPA below 3.5 will NOT be awarded honors designations (i.e. General Honors, Honors in the Major, University Honors and/or International Honors)

Official Description of Honors Standings

Can I rejoin the Honors College if I’ve been dropped?

Readmittance to the Honors College is at the discretion of the Executive Director and the Honors and International Advisor. Contact the Executive Director to be considered for readmission.

What are In-Course Honors Projects and what are the requirements?
Graduation – Earning University Distinctions/Cords and Honors College Designations
What do the Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude distinctions mean?

These university-wide academic distinctions serve as an extra means of recognition when you receive your diploma and are determined by the Registrar.

  • Summa Cum Laude – 3.90 or higher cumulative GPA for all work completed
  • Magna Cum Laude – 3.75 to 3.89 cumulative GPA for all work completed
  • Cum Laude – 3.60 to 3.74 cumulative GPA for all work completed
How do I know if I qualify for a gold cord?

Gold cords:

  • Given to any graduating senior, who is participating in in-person commencement, and has a 3.5-4.0 cumulative GPA (any D or F grades make the student ineligible, even if the course was retaken for a grade replacement)
  • Eligibility is determined by the Registrar
  • Only given to students who participate in commencement as they are considered academic regalia
What awards can I get from the Honors College at graduation?

Medallions are awarded to graduating honors college students who have completed the requirements for one or more of the following designations (multiple medallions are possible):

  • Completing the requirements for General Honors
  • Completing the requirements for Honors in the Major
  • Students who complete General Honors and Honors in the Major will receive an additional medallion for University Honors
  • Completing the requirements for International Honors
  • Students who earn an academic distinction (Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude) will be given a medallion for the distinction earned

A total of 5 medallions may be earned and worn at graduation. Medallions are considered academic regalia, so only students participating in Commencement will be provided with them.

Student Involvement
What is the Honda Campus All Star Challenge (HCASC)?
  • HCASC is a fast-paced quiz style game where you get to meet new people, have fun, and join the thousands of players who have competed
  • Allows HBCU students to show off their brain power
  • Participate in our Power Search Quiz and you just might get to compete at the National Championship in Los Angeles
  • If you compete at the HBCU National Quiz Championship you could help Central State University win $75,000!
  • Check out the website
  • Contact the coach, Mrs. Sarah Jones, for more information
How do I join the Honors Student Association or the International Student Organization?

Students of all backgrounds who live or commute to campus can join the association or club:

Campus Operations
Who do I speak to about residential housing?
As an honors student, do I have to live in an honors residence hall?

No. Living in an honors residence hall is optional.

When should I start applying for residential housing?

Entering Freshmen and Prospective Students

  • Submit your application after you have been admitted and confirmed your intention to attend CSU (paid fees)

Current and Continuing CSU Students

  • Check your email and read the informatoin on the monitors across campus for announcements from Residence Life

Housing Application Website

Additional Support Services
Who can I contact for help with my needs?
How can I study abroad?

CSU’s Center for International Education is your go to source for anything related to studying abroad

  • Contact - Dr. Abboushi
  • The Honors College works closely with the center
  • Monitor your email for more information and opportunities for studying abroad
Who can I go to for help with my resume and cover letter?

CSU’s Careers Services is able to help you with all things related to jobs, careers and internships

  • Contact - Dr. Karla Harper
  • The Honors College will also be co-hosting webinars with them, so monitor your email for opportunities
  • Schedule an appointment to meet with someone from Career Services
Who can help me get into law school or medical school?

CSU's is designed to help students get into law schools and medical schools (MD, Chiropractic Medicine, Physician Assistance, Exercise Science, Social Work, Psychology, Accelerated Nursing, and others):

  • Contact - Mr. Sidney Williams or Ms. Tracy Watts-Coleman
  • Being a part of the Honors College is also essential to getting into law school and medical school
  • Meet with the Executive Director of the Honors College early in your academic career to establish a plan for earning admission to law or medical school
Are there scholarships that I can apply for that will lessen my out-of-pocket expenses?
How do I get the continuing honors student scholarship from the Honors College?

No application is necessary. If you maintain the appropriate grade point average and are an honors student in good standing, the continuing honors student scholarship will be automatically posted to your account by the office of financial aid.

Contact Information for Honors College
Who are the staff in the Honors College and how can I contact them?