Frequently asked questions photo of question marks

Honors College FAQs

Honors College Requirements

  • Entering Freshmen

    • 3.5+ unweighted cumulative high school GPA
    • Evidence of extracurricular and/or service activities

    Transfer and Current CSU Students

    • 3.5+ unweighted cumulative GPA with 12 or more credits earned
    • Evidence of extracurricular and/or service activities
    • Honors credits and designations from other institutions will transfer

    Official Eligibility Requirements

  • Official Designation Requirements

    • Contact the Honors and International Advisor immediately
    • Consecutive semesters of falling below the requirements will lead to probation and/or eventual removal from the Honors College
    • Student may lose access to honors scholarships and honors housing.
    • Students who graduate with a cumulative GPA below 3.5 will NOT be awarded honors designations (i.e. General Honors, Honors in the Major, University Honors and/or International Honors)

    Official Description of Honors Standings

  • Readmittance to the Honors College is at the discretion of the Executive Director and the Honors and International Advisor. Contact the Executive Director to be considered for readmission.

Graduation – Distinctions, Gold Cords and Honors College Designations

  • These university-wide academic distinctions serve as an extra means of recognition when you receive your diploma and are determined by the Registrar.

    • Summa Cum Laude – 3.90 or higher cumulative GPA for all work completed
    • Magna Cum Laude – 3.75 to 3.89 cumulative GPA for all work completed
    • Cum Laude – 3.60 to 3.74 cumulative GPA for all work completed


  • Gold cords:

    • Given to any graduating senior, who is participating in in-person commencement, and has a 3.5-4.0 cumulative GPA (any D or F grades make the student ineligible, even if the course was retaken for a grade replacement)
    • Eligibility is determined by the Registrar
    • Only given to students who participate in commencement as they are considered academic regalia


  • Medallions are awarded to graduating honors college students who have completed the requirements for one or more of the following designations (multiple medallions are possible):

    • Completing the requirements for General Honors
    • Completing the requirements for Honors in the Major
    • Students who complete General Honors and Honors in the Major will receive an additional medallion for University Honors
    • Completing the requirements for International Honors
    • Students who earn an academic distinction (Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude) will be given a medallion for the distinction earned

    A total of 5 medallions may be earned and worn at graduation. Medallions are considered academic regalia, so only students participating in Commencement will be provided with them.

Student Involvement

    • HCASC is a fast-paced quiz style game where you get to meet new people, have fun, and join the thousands of players who have competed
    • Allows HBCU students to show off their brain power
    • Participate in our Power Search Quiz and you just might get to compete at the National Championship in Los Angeles
    • If you compete at the HBCU National Quiz Championship you could help Central State University win $75,000!
    • Check out the website
    • Contact the coach, Mrs. Sarah Jones, for more information


  • Students of all backgrounds who live or commute to campus can join the association or club:


Campus Operations

  • Entering Freshmen and Prospective Students

    • Submit your application after you have been admitted and confirmed your intention to attend CSU (paid fees)

    Current and Continuing CSU Students

    • Check your email and read the information on the monitors across campus for announcements from Residence Life

    Housing Application Website

  • No. Living in an honors residence hall is optional.

Additional Support Services


  • CSU’s Center for International Education is your go-to source for anything related to studying abroad

    • Contact - Dr. Abboushi
    • The Honors College works closely with the center
    • Monitor your email for more information and opportunities for studying abroad
  • CSU’s Careers Services is able to help you with all things related to jobs, careers and internships

    • Contact - Dr. Karla Harper
    • The Honors College will also be co-hosting webinars with them, so monitor your email for opportunities
    • Schedule an appointment to meet with someone from Career Services

    The Honors College also recommends that students have business cards or digital business cards to share with potential internship providers and employers.

  • CSU's is designed to help students get into law schools and medical schools (MD, Chiropractic Medicine, Physician Assistance, Exercise Science, Social Work, Psychology, Accelerated Nursing, and others):

    • Contact - Mr. Sidney Williams or Ms. Tracy Watts-Coleman
    • Being a part of the Honors College is also essential to getting into law school and medical school
    • Meet with the Executive Director of the Honors College early in your academic career to establish a plan for earning admission to law or medical school



  • The Honors College supports several prestigious national and international awards and scholarships. Some of these scholarships require representatives from Central State University to nominate students and others are open to all applicants. Please make sure to communicate with the appropriate campus representative below, to make sure you are following proper procedures when applying for a given scholarship or award.

    • Barry Goldwater Scholarship | Prestigious scholarship for college sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue research careers in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering. The Goldwater Foundation is helping ensure that the U.S. is producing the number of highly-qualified professionals the Nation needs in these critical fields. Goldwater Campus Representative: Dr. Wishart
    • Boren Award | A Boren Scholarship funds study abroad by U.S. undergraduate students in world regions critical to U.S. interests with a focus on language development (you do not have to be proficient in the language). Boren Award recipients commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate a longer term commitment to government service. Boren Campus Representatives: Dr. Schlag & Ms. Jennifer Hathaway
    • Gilman-McCain Scholarship | The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, providing them with skills critical to our national security and economic prosperity. To be eligible for the Gilman Program, applicants must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of their study abroad program or internship. Gilman-McCain Campus Representative: Ms. Jennifer Hathaway
    • Truman Scholarship | The Harry S. Truman Scholarship awards merit-based scholarships to college students who plan to pursue careers in government or elsewhere in public service. Truman Scholars receive up to $30,000 for graduate or professional school, participate in leadership development activities, and have special opportunities for internships and employment with the federal government. Juniors apply for the Truman Scholarship and must be nominated by the University. Truman Campus Representative: Dr. Schlag


  • No application is necessary. If you maintain the appropriate grade point average and are an honors student in good standing, the continuing honors student scholarship will be automatically posted to your account by the office of financial aid. Make sure you follow your student account often and let the Honors College staff know if the appropriate scholarship has not been applied.

Contact Information for Honors College