General Information

Central State University reserves the right to cancel, postpone, or limit enrollment in classes and to change instructors and classroom assignments. Enrollment in some classes is limited, and registration will be permitted on a space-available basis only. Registration exceptions for select classes are noted in course descriptions. It is the responsibility of the student, along with the assistance of an advisor, to be aware of prerequisite and co-requisite requirements and to register for courses accordingly. Some courses require additional materials. The instructor will give information about the required materials. Most materials required for courses are available in the University Bookstore or from departmental offices.

Selective Service Registration

It’s the Law. Male students between the ages of 18 through 25 and living in the U.S. must register with Selective Service to qualify for In-State Fees. The Out-of-State Surcharge will be assessed to those students not registered with Selective Service at the time of registration.

Policy on Non-Discrimination

Central State University does not discriminate against any individual, regardless of his/her age, sex, color, race, religion, ancestry, national origin, or handicap in any of its policies, standards, administrative programs, or services.


Academic Advising – All students must meet with their advisor for course scheduling and registration.

Open Registration is held prior to the beginning of classes for new, continuing, and re-admitted students. Please check the academic calendar for published dates. All tuition and fees must be arranged at the time of registration.

Web Registration is available for all students in good academic standing. Instructions are available on the Office of the Registrar web page and also on MyCSU. Please note: All holds must be cleared from the student account prior to registering for classes. Students must contact their Academic Advisor and are responsible for registering for courses identified by the advisor. Web registration will be available daily from 6 a.m. until 2 a.m.

Late Registration. A late registration fee of $300 will be assessed if registration occurs after the published Open Registration period.

Registration Process
New and Transfer Students: Admissions, Housing, Testing, Advising, Registration, Pay Fees, and ID
Continuing Students: Advising, Registration, Housing, Pay Fees, and ID

Schedule Changes. Students can make changes to the initial class schedule by completing a Drop/Add Form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar during regularly scheduled office hours. Schedule changes are permitted during the first nine days of the semester without penalty.

Adding a Course. Complete a Drop/Add Form, obtain appropriate approval signatures, and return the approved form to the Office of the Registrar for official processing. Obtain permission from the instructor to add a class that is closed.

Dropping a Course. Complete a Drop/Add Form and return it to the Office of the Registrar (with approved signatures) for official processing. A “W” grade will be assigned to all drops processed after the ninth day of the semester. All students must be officially registered in order to receive college credit. Students who attend classes without being officially registered during the semester that credit is requested will not be permitted to register retroactively.

Withdrawal from the University. Students withdrawing from the University must complete a Total Withdrawal form. The form is available in the Office of the Registrar. This form must be completed and signed by the appropriate departmental representatives, as well as the Dean of Students. Those students who withdraw (stop attending classes) without completing this process will receive failing grades. Students may withdraw from the University through the last day of the twelfth week of the semester. In cases of emergency (illness, hospitalization, death in the immediate family), the withdrawal may be processed by telephone. Please call 937-376-6232.

Auditing a Course. Students may register for “Audit” in any course offered at the University. Students should understand that “Audit” is not convertible to “Credit,” nor is “Credit” convertible to “Audit” once the registration is complete. The fees for auditing a course are the same as those for enrolling for credit.

Repeating a Course. Students may repeat any course in which a grade was earned. The first grade earned will be excluded from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average by the first repeat attempt.

All courses attempted or completed at Central State University must be repeated at CSU in order to satisfy degree requirements. Students and academic advisors are responsible for advising the Office of the Registrar of repeated courses. Students are advised to check with the Office of Financial Aid to determine the effect of repeated courses on their financial aid awards. Students are not allowed to repeat first-attempt courses with passing grades of A, B, or C.

Senior Citizen Enrollment (Age 60 & above). Senior citizens may enroll in classes at Central State University free of charge for “Audit” only. Such enrollment is made on a space-available basis during the late registration period only. Senior citizens enrolling in classes are responsible for meeting listed course prerequisites and for the payment of Special Course Fees, which may apply.

Academic Policies

A minimum cumulative grade point average is required for graduation from Central State University. The actual requirement varies by the degree earned and by a major program of study and will always be a 2.2 or better cumulative grade point average (GPA). When the cumulative grade point average falls below the required minimum, as indicated below, students will be “Placed on Academic Probation.” Students will be permitted to enroll for the next semester but must earn a 2.2 or better for that semester. If, at the end of the next semester of enrollment, the semester GPA is less than 2.2 and the cumulative GPA is less than the required minimum, the student will be “Academically Dismissed.

Re-admitted students will be “Continued on Probation” at the time of enrollment. These guidelines also apply to transfer students who have been dismissed or “Academically Suspended” from the last college or university attended. When a student decides to seek re-admission, the student must submit a petition to their Academic Advisor.

Students who have been academically dismissed and who seek readmission to the University must submit an Appeal for Readmission to the Academic Standards Committee. Students who are academically dismissed for the first time must remain out of school for a minimum of one semester (summer term excluded). Students who have been academically dismissed for a second time are not eligible to be considered for readmission for one academic year. After a third academic dismissal, readmission may not be granted.

Incomplete. An incomplete “I” is a temporary grade assigned to students who lack final assignments or projects, who missed the final examination, or who, for some other extenuating circumstance, were unable to complete the requirements of a course within the semester.

An “I” grade is assigned by the instructor with the consent of the student and with the mutual understanding of the conditions under which the grade may be changed. An Incomplete Grade form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. It requires the signature of the instructor and the student with a brief description of the requirements necessary to receive a grade.

The grade will be changed to an F grade if the requirements are not completed within six weeks after the beginning of the next semester of enrollment (up to one year). If the student has not been enrolled for one year after receiving the I grade and he/she has not completed the work required, then the I grade automatically becomes a grade F.

Individual exceptions to this policy, due to extenuating circumstances, will be considered by the Academic Standards Committee upon receipt of a formal appeal presented to the Committee by the student’s Academic Standards Committee upon receipt of a formal appeal presented to the Committee by the student’s Academic Advisor or the Department Chair. The decision of the Academic Standards Committee is final.

Final Grades. Final Grades will be available via your Central State email within two weeks after the end of each semester.

Family Education Rights & Privacy Act. In accordance with Section 438 (b) (4) (B) of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, you are hereby notified that personal information is provided by students upon the condition that the University, its agents or employees, will not permit any other party to have access to such information without the written consent of the student except where required by law.

Release of Records. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, governs the maintenance and release of records. A copy of these regulations is available in the Office of the Registrar. In substance, the University will not release a copy of a student’s grades to anyone without the student’s written permission, except where required by law. A Transcript Request Form is available in the Office of the Registrar. The fee for transcript copies is listed under Fees and Expenses.

Veterans Regulations / Conduct Policy. All students receiving federal benefits for veterans and dependents, I-SI Fact Sheet dated July 1994, are obligated to follow regulations of the Federal Benefits Program and those of the University. The following University regulations are applied:

  1. All veterans are required to have a copy of their DD-214 on file. Veterans will receive three (3) semester hours of credit for military service.
  2. Veterans will be certified on a semester basis or annually. It will be the veteran’s responsibility to notify the certifying officer of any changes in registration.
  3. All veterans are responsible for notifying the certifying officer of any repeated courses.
  4. All veterans are required to alert the Office of the Registrar when adding a course, dropping a course, or withdrawing from the University.
  5. Any veteran receiving an Incomplete (I) grade during any semester must remove those incomplete grades by the last day of the sixth week of the following semester of enrollment. (See also Financial Aid and Academics-Grading in the Course Catalog.)
  6. All veterans are responsible for notifying the certifying officer of any transfer credit.
  7. Veterans’ benefits will be discontinued for any veteran student who has been academically suspended or suspended from the University.

The Registrar is the certifying officer for veterans’ benefits. Recipients of Title IV and/or Veterans’ Educational Benefits must meet the same academic requirements as all other students (See Academic Policies). Recipients are required to successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.

A Title IV student who must repeat a course that was originally paid with Title IV money will be required to pay for the repeated course with the student’s own funds.

Residency Requirements

The following persons shall be classified as residents of the State of Ohio for subsidy and tuition surcharge purposes:

1. A dependent student, at least one of whose parents or legal guardians has been a resident of the State of Ohio for all other legal purposes for 12 consecutive months or more immediately preceding the enrollment of the student in an institution of higher education.

2. A person who has been a resident of the State of Ohio for the purpose of this rule for at least twelve consecutive months immediately preceding his or her enrollment in an institution of higher education and who is not receiving and has not directly or indirectly received in the preceding twelve months, financial support from persons or entities who are not residents of the State of Ohio for all other legal purposes.

3. A dependent child of a parent or legal guardian or the spouse of a person who, as of the first day of a term of enrollment, has accepted full-time employment and established domicile in the State of Ohio for reasons other than gaining the benefit of favorable fee rates.

A complete text of Ohio law regarding residency is published in the University Catalog and on the Ohio Board of Regents website.

Change of Residency. Any student seeking to change residency status must complete the appropriate form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Supporting documentation and verification are required. In-state residency approval is not retroactive or automatic. All requests for residency changes must be submitted no later than thirty days before the beginning of the semester for which the residency change is requested. Complete information regarding residency policy and laws is available in the Course Catalog.

Forever Buckeye. Out-of-state students who graduated from an Ohio high school, and recently returned to Ohio, may be eligible for in-state status through the University System of Ohio’s Forever Buckeye initiative. Please contact the Residency Officer in the Registrar’s office for more information.