Welcome to Upward Bound
The Office of TRIO Upward Bound Program (CSU-UB) is a pre-college program of robust academic instruction, tutoring and counseling. The (CSU-UB) program provides high school students with an opportunity to enhance the academic skills necessary to successfully complete high school and enroll in and graduate from college.
The Upward Bound Program is a year round academic program with a summer component emphasis placed on language arts, mathematics, sciences, social sciences and foreign languages. There is a six-week on-campus summer program (4-weeks commuting and 2-weeks residential) that will enhance the academic skills, introduce the participants to campus life, teach college survival skills, increase their social skills and provide entertainment activities. Participants will attend workshops, use computerized tutorials, and practice tests to improve their test taking skills to enhance their SAT and ACT scores.
- Academic tutoring
- Advice and assistance in secondary and postsecondary course selection
- Preparation for college entrance exams
- Federal Pell grant awards
- Loan forgiveness
- Information on federal student financial aid programs:
- Assistance completing financial aid applications and Federal Student Aid
- Secondary school reentry
- Alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to the receipt of a regular secondary school diploma:
- Entry into postsecondary education
- Guidance on and Assistance in:
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students or the student’s parent, including financial planning for postsecondary education.
- Mathematics through Pre-Calculus
- Laboratory Science
- Foreign Language
- Exposure to cultural events and academic programs
- Work Study Program––aimed at giving our students a real world office experience
Permissible Services––Any project assisted under this section may provide instruction designed on-campus residential programs, mentoring programs, and/or work study
Programs and activities designed for participants who are limited English proficient, traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education, individuals with disabilities, participants who are homeless children and youths, participants who are aging out of foster care, or other disconnected participants.
Counseling and Academic Advising––are key services offered year-round to help students solve personal, academic, and behavioral problems that impede success and assists them in discovering self-concept and social development.
Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction will aid participants in improving their GPAs, increasing their academic successes, and providing the motivation needed to increase academic performance.
- Career Exploration –– will help participants choose a career suitable to their skills and explore different careers in the areas of interest.
- Financial Aid Assistance –– assists in completing the necessary applications for admission and financial aid.
- Cultural Enrichment –– will provide participants opportunities for social, leisure, and educational experiences.
- Campus Visits/College Tours –– to expose participants to postsecondary institutions in Ohio and college environment.
- Parent Services –– increase awareness of the importance of college preparatory curriculum and understanding of the procedures necessary for postsecondary enrollment.
- OGT And ACT Test Prep –– will assist students in successfully passing all areas of the Ohio Graduation Test as well as prepare students for stellar performance on the ACT, increasing scholarship offers and post-secondary choices.
- Work Study Program –– aimed at giving our students real world office experience.