STEM In Action Summer Bridge Program
The STEM In Action Summer Bridge Program runs from Sunday, June 17 through Friday, July 20, 2018.
The STEM In Action Summer Bridge Program at Central State University is a five-week fast-paced and rigorous academic program for incoming Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Agriculture (STEM-Ag) freshman students who have been admitted to Central State University.
Selected students will find this program essential to their successful transition to Central State as it prepares them for college-level academics. Courses include Algebra, English, Chemistry, Biology and CSU’s First Year Seminar. You will receive credit hours after completing the English course.
STEM In Action cultivates a diverse community of scholars and prepares students to engage actively with and meet the challenges of a college academic environment. The program supports students by providing:
- A stimulating and challenging academic experience in STEM-Ag
- Personalized, comprehensive advising and tutoring
- An intellectually and socially enriching residential experience
- A small cohort of students from various backgrounds participate in the program
- Students will gain knowledge through classroom instruction and experiential opportunities
- All students live together in a residence hall, building a supportive community and network of friends
- Weekend activities
- $12,000 two-year scholarship to cover tuition, housing and meals*
- Earn credit hours towards graduation
- Get a jumpstart on your college career
- Gain confidence before school starts in the Fall
- Become familiar with the Central State University campus
- Learn to optimize campus resources
- Build a supportive network of faculty, staff and peers that extends throughout their tenure at Central State University
- Establish relationships with academic counselors and advisers
- Better understand faculty expectations and college culture
- Students committed to attend CSU in Fall 2018
- High school GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale or cumulative ACT Standardized Test score of 21 or above
- Documented evidence per high school transcript of college preparation track in science and mathematics classes
- Declared Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or Agriculture major
- U.S. citizen, national, refugee, or permanent resident
*Preference will be given to Manufacturing and Environmental Engineering majors.
Scholarship Process & Maintenance Criteria
- Funds will be awarded to students based upon the financial aid and GPA requirements once eligibility has been determined. Scholarship recipients will be awarded a portion of the awards each semester.
- Recipients must achieve and maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA each semester to sustain the scholarship and remain a STEM-Ag major.
- Participate in periodic meetings regarding academic performance and attend professional development sessions.
- Membership and service in appropriate major, including professional organizations such as Society of Manufacturing Engineering, The American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists, and National Society of Black Engineers.
- Scholars who earn a GPA below 3.0 during a semester will be given one semester to raise their GPAs back to the required level.
- Scholarships are non-refundable to students and will be used only for expenses on a student’s account.
STEM In Action Summer Bridge Application Process
If you have received an invitation to participate in Summer Bridge 2018 and would like to apply online, click the button below.
Registration is now closed.
More Information or Questions
Morakinyo A.O. Kuti, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs & Research
Monday through Friday 8:30-4:30 p.m.
*Scholarship award based on $6,000 each year for two years for a total of $12,000 for combined years of attendance. The scholarship covers the cost of attendance, including tuition, housing and meals. The scholarship funds are non-refundable. Based on a student’s status, the scholarship may cover all or part of the funds needed to attend the University.