Special Circumstances for Financial Aid

The Higher Education Act and associated federal regulations gives the Office of Financial Aid the authority to make adjustments to an individual student’s federal aid application based on special circumstances within the household.  The Central State University Student Financial Aid Office will review and, when appropriate, make adjustments to a student’s institutional, state and federal aid when a student, spouse, or parent have demonstrated a decrease in income. A student must have filed a FAFSA for the year in which they seek review of their aid before submitting an appeal.

Examples in which someone can seek to appeal their financial aid include, but are not limited to:

  • Death of parent or spouse
  • Separation or Divorce
  • Loss of Job
  • Decrease in work hours of current position
  • Change of job resulting in reduction of income
  • Loss of Child Support
  • Loss of other untaxable income (workman's compensation, etc.)
  • Significant change in student's/parent's income not listed above

Downloads & Documents