Final Deadline for Registration is Received by 5:00 PM Friday, March 7, 2014 – Only signed, mailed or hand-delivered forms will be accepted. After March 14, the participant's name will not be listed in the program nor will their name be given to the special award judges for consideration for a special award. We will not accept faxed or emailed forms. West District Science Day and Miami Valley Science and Engineering Fairs are March 22, 2014 at Central State University. Only students with a signed registration form, consent form, abstract on the abstract page, ISEF forms and the registration fee will be allowed to participate. If you anticipate problems in meeting this timeframe, please have your teacher email to alert the office of the problem. The registration fee applies to each student, not project. An individual project is $30.00. A team is $60.00 for two students and $90.00 for three students. Make checks or money orders payable to CSU Foundation-MVSEF. Cash also is accepted.
Registration Consists of:
- Registration Packet for INDIVIDUALS | Fill out online and print
- Registration Packet for TEAMS | Fill out online and print
- ISEF forms | Click to go to ISEF website to get forms
- Consent and Release form
- $30.00 per student fee - check, money order or cash to CSU Foundation
Forms should be filled out ONLINE – each form can be typed and printed from the website. It is VERY hard to read handwriting, no matter how "clear" it may seem. Detailed information about each form is listed below.
This form is a writeable PDF. If you do no have acrobat reader click here /to get it downloaded to your computer.
There are 3 forms within the packet.
- individual or team registration form
- abstract form
- consent and release form.
For teams, each team member must fill out a separate form and pay the registration fee. There will be no electricity provided. The project title must be kept short (about 60 characters).Carefully choose and circle the best category for the project. The West District Science Day Council reserves the right to change a category to better match similar projects to categories. We will notify you by email where your project will be. If you do not have a working email, signs will be posted indicating your spot on the day of the fair.
Each student must have an abstract on the abstract form. Type the information asked for and an abstract. An abstract includes the problem and hypothesis, methods, results and conclusion – a summary of your project. This is the only information that the judges will see prior to visiting your project. If you do not put your abstract on the form provided, the judges will not see it. If your abstract is longer than one half of a page, it will be cut off to fit the judge card.
Consent and Release
The parent or guardian of each participant must sign the Junior Ohio Academy of Science Consent and Release form that is included with each packet. This must be returned with each registration packet. Form is located with the rest of the registration packet.
Send a Message of Support
If you would like to send a message of support, fill out the form and mail it with your registration packet. A business card size message will be published in the program. The cost is $5.00. Make checks out to CSU Foundation or add to the registration fee ($35.00 total). Only messages received before March 15 will be honored.
ISEF Forms – Click to visit the website
The ISEF forms 1, 1A and 1B are required of all projects. These forms must be filled out for all students participants. If a participant worked with hazardous chemicals, bacteria, human subjects or vertebrate animals, additional forms may be required. Please see the ISEF website for complete details. Do not send the original forms, copies will do. We are not responsible for loosing or damaging original ISEF forms.
A $30.00 registration fee is required for each participant. Two person teams pay $60.00 and three person teams pay $90.00. All other materials are donated, and the director and workers are volunteers. Please make checks or money orders payable to CSU Foundation). These fees go to pay affiliation fees with the Junior Academy of Science and ISEF. The West District Council has a few scholarships available if a Teacher and/or Local Science Day Director finds that the registration fee will prevent a participant from coming to the District level science day. Please contact the West District Director to discuss and request a scholarship.
FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS
Central State University is proud to host this year’s West District Science Day and Miami Valley Science and Engineering Fair. To make this event a positive learning experience for your child, please read the following information and suggestions.
- Participants must be accompanied by an adult. Central State University and the Junior Ohio Academy of Science are not responsible for your child.
- Doors open at 7:30 AM for set-up. The event lasts all day – judging starts at 9:00 AM, the public is allowed in at noon and the Award Ceremony begins at 2:00 PM.
- If you sent an email address, your display space will be emailed to you. The name of the participant and their display area also will be posted on the wall near the entrance. People and maps will be available to help participants find their display area in one of the two gyms. The gyms are connected by an interior corridor. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR SPACE. The judge will not be able to find you.
- Breakfast and lunch are not provided. You may purchase continental breakfast and/or lunch beginning at 8:00 AM. Please be sure participants have money (we suggest at least $6.00) or a packed lunch if you would like them to eat during the event.
Hand-Delivery of Registration Forms:
We have MOVED! Once on Campus at the main entrance, take the first right onto Mallory Jenkins Drive. Park in the parking lot next to the glass greenhouse on your left. Come in the parking lot entrance to the College of Education and Natural Sciences. Turn right at the elevator and go down the hallway. You may turn in your forms in room 103 (across from theelevator or room 160 (across from the water fountains) at the end of the hall. Someone will be there 9:00am - 5:00 pm. You may also slide the forms under the door.