The Mathematics (MTH) program at Central State University offers a 4-year program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, and a 4-year program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics Education. These Mathematics programs train specialists who will, in the course of their careers, make an outstanding contribution to society in the educational and corporate worlds. The programs will cultivate in the non-specialist an appreciation of the beauty of mathematics and its applications to solving real world problems.
Students who graduate with a degree in Mathematics are highly qualified in:
- Algebraic and Computational Analysis
- Theory of Algebraic Structures
- Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- Statistical Analysis and Modeling
- Techniques and Theory of Mathematical Proofs
Students who graduate with a degree in Mathematics Education are highly qualified in:
- Pedagogy of Teaching K-12 Mathematics
- Algebraic Analysis and Applications
- Foundations and History of Mathematics
- Statistical and Computational Analysis
In keeping with the aims and goals of the department, the curriculum offerings are necessarily both broad in scope and detailed in composition. The mathematics courses range from the elementary to the advanced thereby providing courses for both majors and non majors. Most mathematics courses taught to underclassmen use computerized mathematical lessons.