Dr. Yu Liang
Associate Professor of Computer Science
PhD (Computer Science), PhD (Applied Mathematics)
Dr. Yu Liang is currently working at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of Central State University as an Assistant Professor in Computer Science. Research interests include: modeling and simulation, high-performance scientific and engineering computing, numerical linear algebra, the processing and analysis of large-scale sensory data, and computational mechanics. Dr. Liang has five active research projects funded by government. Currently Dr. Liang has fourteen published peer-reviewed journal papers, two professional book chapters, and over fifty professional conference papers and presentations.
- Ph.D. / Appl. Math (8/98-7/01, 09/05), Univ. of Ulster (UK), directed by J. Weston, M. Szularz and D. Bustard. Thesis: Polynomial Preconditioner for the Solution of Linear Equations.
- Ph.D. / Computer Science (9/95-7/98, 07/98), Chinese Academy of Sciences, directed by C. D. Han. Thesis: Timing-sequence based Test of Parallel Program.
- M.Eng / Computer Science (9/92-2/95, 02/95), Beijing Polytechnic University, directed by Y.W. Liang. Thesis: Accelerate the Test-generation of the combinational circuit by taking advantages of the associated structural laws.
- B.Eng / Computer Science and Technology (9/85-7/90, 07/90), Tsinghua University, directed by G.Z. Zhang. Thesis: Design and Research on Network Interface.
- Tenure-track Assistant Professor / Computer Science (08/07-present), Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Central State University.
- Summer Faculty Fellow / Sensor Application and Technology (05/12-08/12), Sensor Directorate of the /U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory.
- Summer Faculty Fellow / Sensor Application and Technology (05/11-08/11), Sensor Directorate of the /U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory.
- Visiting Assistant Professor /Computer Science (08/06-08/07), Department of Computer and Software Engineering, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
- Research Scientist / Computational Science (05/05-08/06), Center for Advanced Materials and Smart Structures(CAMSS), North Carolina A&T State University.
- PostDoc / Scientific Computing (08/02-05/05), Army High-performance Computing Research Center, University of Minnesota.
- PostDoc / Scientific Computing (08/01-08/02), Department of Computer Science, University of Minnesota.
- R. Mohan and Y. Liang, Chapter 10: Tensile and Flexural Deformation of Nickel Nanowires via Molecular Dynamics Simulations, Cutting Edge Nanotechnology. Edited by Dragica Vasileska, ISBN 978-953-7619-93-0, Published in March 2010.
- Y. Liang, Preface: An Introduction to UNIX System, 2004.
REPRESENTATIVE JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Y. Liang, R. Kanapady, and L. T. Laurence, Augmented FETI-DP Method Based on Polynomial Preconditioning. Journal of Computer and System Science (under review).
- Y. Liang, W. Melvin, S. I. Sritharan, S. Fernandes, and D. Barker, A Crowd Motion Analysis Framework Based on Analog Heat-Transfer Model, American Journal of Science and Engineering (in-press).
- Y. Liang, R. Kanapady, P. Chung, Z. Shi, and B. Wang, A Hessian-Free Newton-Raphson Method for the Configuration of Physics Systems Featured by Numerically Asymmetric Force Field, Mathematical and Computer Simulation (under review).
- Y. Liang, M. Szularz and L. T. Yang, Finite-element-wise Domain Decomposition Iterative Solvers Based on Polynomial Preconditioning, DOI: 10.1016/j.mcm.2012.11.017, Mathematical and Computer Modeling (in press).
- R. Mohan, Y. Purohit, Y. Liang, Deformation Behavior of Nanoscale Material Systems with Applications to Tensile, Flexural and Crack Propagation, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Volume 9, Number 5, May 2012, pp. 649-661(13). DOI:10.1166/jctn.2012.2075.
- J. Zhang, Y. Liang and Y. Zhang, Atomic-level protein structure refinement using fragment guided molecular dynamics conformation sampling. Structure. 2011 Dec 7; 19(12):1784-95. DOI: 10.1016/j.str.2011.09.022.
- A. Saha, Y. Liang, and S. Kohles, Biokinetic Mechanisms Linked With Musculoskeletal Health Disparities: Stochastic Models Applying Tikhonov’s Theorem to Biomolecule Homeostasis, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, May 2011, Vol.2/021004-1 – 9, DOI :10.1115/1.4003876.
- S. Kohles, Y. Liang, and A. Saha, Cytoskeletal Strains in Modeled Optohydrodynamically Stressed Healthy and Diseased Biological Cells, Journal of Biophysics, Vol 2012, doi:10.1155/2012/830741.
- S. Kohles, Y. Liang, and A. Saha, Volumetric Stress-Strain Analysis of Optohydrodynamically Suspended Biological Cells, Journal of Biomedical Engineering, December 2010, Vol. 132, 1-7.
- J. Zhang, Y. Liang, J.Z. Yan and J. Z. Lou, Study of the molecular weight dependence of glass transition temperature for amorphous poly (L-lactide) by molecular dynamics simulation, Polymers, Volume 48, Issue 16, 27 July 2007, 4900-4905.
- Y. Liang, J. Weston and M. Szularz, Generalized least-squares polynomial preconditioners for symmetric indefinite linear equations. Parallel computing 28(2): 323-341 (2002)
- Y. Liang, S. Li, H. Zhang and C.D. Han, Timing Sequence Testing for parallel Programs, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 84-95. Jan. 2000.
- Y. Liang, J. K. Li, L. B. Zhang, Y. C. Li and H.Q. Lu, ParCT: A Parallel C-Language Testing Tool, Journal of Computer Research and Development, Vol.36, No.10, 1197-1201. Oct.1999.
- Y. Liang, S. Li, H. Zhang and C.D. Han, Timing Sequence Testing for the Distributed Parallel Programs, Journal of Computer Research and Development, Vol.36, No.9, 1062-1068. Sept.1999.
- Y. Liang, S. Li, H. Zhang and C.D. Han, Research on the Coverage Ratio for the Timing Sequence Test of Parallel programs, Journal of Computer Research and Development, Vol.36, No.2, 160-165. Feb. 1999.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Y. Liang, M. Henderson, S. Fernandes, J. Sanderson, S. I. Sritharan, and D. Barker, Vehicle Tracking and Analysis within Cities, SPIE 2013: Defense, Security and Sensing, Baltimore, April 23-27, 2013 (accepted).
- J. Sanderson, Y. Liang, S. Fernandes, M. Henderson, and D. Barker, Quality Measurement of Low-Resulotion Images, SPIE 2013: Defense, Security and Sensing, Baltimore, April 23-27, 2013 (accepted).
- S. Fernandes, Y. Liang, M. Henderson, J. Sanderson, and D. Barker, Chipping and Segmentation of Target-of-Interest from Low-Resolution Video, SPIE 2013: Defense, Security and Sensing, Baltimore, April 23-27, 2013 (accepted).
- Y. Liang, W. Melvin, S. I. Sritharan, S. Fernandes, and D. Barker, CMA-HT, a Crowd Motion Analysis Framework Based on Heat-transfer-analog Model. Proc. SPIE 8402, Evolutionary and Bio-Inspired Computation: Theory and Applications VI, 84020J (May 1, 2012); doi:10.1117/12.919088.
- Yu Liang, S. Kohles, and A. Saha, Cytoskeletal Strain Responses of Modeled Hydrodynamically Stressed Biological Cells, proceeding of COMSOL 2010, Boston, October 7-9, 2010.
- Y. Liang, Z. Shi, S. I. Sritharan, and H. Wan, Simulation of the Spread of Epidemic Disease Using Persistent Surveillance Data, proceeding of COMSOL 2010, Boston, October 7-9, 2010.
- S. Fernandes, Y. Liang, S.I. Sritharan, X.Wei, and R. Kandiah, Real Time Detection of Improvised Explosive Devices using Hyperspectral Image Analysis, 2010 IEEE National Aerospace and Electronics Conference (NAECON 2010).
- Y. Liang, Haim Waisman, Jay Shi, Philip Liu and Jim Lua, Pre-processing Toolkit for Three-Dimensional X-FEM, 2008 IEEE National Aerospace and Electronics Conference (NAECON 2008), to be held in Dayton, Ohio, USA from July 16-18, 2008, page 265-272.
- Y. Liang and M. Szularz, an Efficient Unconstrained Optimization Algorithm with Respect to Unsymmetric Force Field, proceeding of Fourth International Conference of Applied Mathematics and Computing, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, August 12 - 18, 2007.
- Y. Liang, R. Kanapady and K. K Tamma, Highly Scalable Finite-element-based Domain Decomposition Iterative Solvers with Polynomial Preconditioning, in the proceedings of 2006 International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops (ICPPW'06), 505-510. August 14-18, Columbus, Ohio.
- Y. Liang and R. Mohan, Development and Applicability of Augmented FETI-DP Formulation for Stokes Type Flow Problems, 7th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, Los Angeles, California, July 16 – 22, 2006.
- Y. Liang and R. Mohan, Evaluation and Applicability of a Highly Scalable Finite Element Based Iterative Solver for Process Flow Modeling in Liquid Composite Molding, 7th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, Los Angeles, California, July 16 – 22, 2006.
- Y. Liang and R. Mohan, Tensile Deformation of Nickel Nanowires under Uniaxial Tension with High Strain Rates through Molecular Dynamics Simulations, XXIII Southeastern Conference on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, May 21-23, 2006. Puerto Rico.
- P. Chung and R. Namburu, U.S. Army Research Laboratory; R. Kalia, P. Vashishta and A. Nakano, University of Southern California; Y. Liang and R. Kanapady, Army High Performance Computing Research Center; J. Knap, M. Ortiz and R. Phillips, Caltech: Scalable Quasi-continuum Software for Advanced Mixed Atomistic-Continuum Simulations of Material Behavior at the Nanoscale, The 24th Army Science Conference (ASC 24), Orlando Florida, November 29-December 2, 2004.
- Y. Liang, R. Kanapady and P. Chung, Iterative Solution Technique for the Quasi-continuum Method, in proceedings of 2004 International Conference on Computational & Experimental Engineering and Sciences (ICCES'04), Madeira, Portugal, 26-29 July 2004.
- Y. Liang, R. Kanapady and K. K. Tamma, A Highly Scalable Linear Solver for Finite Element-Based Domain Decomposition Problems, Eleventh SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing (PP04).
- Y. Liang, J. Weston and M. Szularz: Polynomial Preconditioning for Specially Structured Linear Systems of Equations. Euro-Par 2001: 587-591.
- Y. Liang, J. Weston and M.Szularz, Stability of Polynomial Preconditioning, in Proceedings of ALGORITMY 2000, 15th Conference on Scientific Computing, A. Handlovicova, M.Komornikova, K.Mikula, and D.Sevcovic (Eds.), 264-273.
- Y. Liang, J. Weston, M. Szularz: Generalized Least-squares Polynomial Preconditioner for Symmetric Indefinite Linear Equations, Proceedings of PMAA 2000 (International Workshop on Parallel Matrix Algorithms and Applications) during 18-20 August 2000, 14, Neuchatel, Switzerland.
- J. K. Li, Y. Liang, Y.Q. Zhang and Y.C. Li, PBLAS on Super-computer SR2201, in proceeding of 1997 International Workshop on Computational Science and Engineering, Hefei, China.
- Y.Q. ZHANG, Y. LIANG, ScaLAPACK on SR2201: Analysis and Testing, 1997 International Workshop on Computational Science and Engineering (IWCSE'97), May 27--28, 1997, Hefei, China.
GRANTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- PI (FY 2013-2018), Computational Methods in Fracture Mechanics, $75K per year, Minority Leader Program of U.S. Air Force (POC: Dr. Gregory A Schoeppner).
- PI (FY 2012-2013),High Performance Computing for Composite Manufacturing Process Modeling, $45K, Minority Leader Program of U.S. Air Force (POC: Dr. Gregory A Schoeppner).
- PI (summer of 2012), Application of Analogous Fluid-Dynamics-in-Porous-Medium Model in Crowd Motion Analysis, Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (SFFP) of U.S. Air Force (POC: Mr. Darrell Barker).
- Co-PI (FY 2012-2016), NSF RI: Large: Collaborative Research: A Robotic Network for Locating and Removing Invasive Carp from Inland Lakes, $220K for three years, NSF.
- PI (FY 2011-2013), Multiscale Motion Analysis, $50K, Minority Leader Program of the U.S. Air Force (POC: Ms. Olga Mendoza-Schrock).
- Co-PI (FY 2010-2011), Predict Enemy’s Intention according to the Infrared Persistent Surveillance Data, $25K, Minority Leader Program of Air Force (POC: Ms. Olga Mendoza-Schrock).
- Co-PI (FY 2009-2010), Real-Time Detection of Improvised Explosive Device Using Hyperspectral Image Processing Techniques, $50K, U.S. Air Force (POC: Ms. Olga Mendoza-Schrock).
- Primary Researcher (FY 2009-2010), Application of Hyperspectral Image Analysis for the GIS, $100K, QBase Inc.
- Voluntary Consultant (FY 2007-2009), Preprocess and Post-process for the Modeling/Simulation of Composite Structure (Contract No: N00014-07-C-0442), Navel Research, $118,718.
- Voluntary Consultant (FY 2007-2008), Fire Integrity in Advanced Ship Structures—Phase I (Contract No: N071-098-0648), DoD’s small business Innovation Research (SBIR), $100K.
- Voluntary Consultant (FY 2007-2009), Fire Integrity in Advanced Ship Structures—Phase II (Contract No: FA8650-07-C-5015), AF SBIR/STTR Solicitation 06.1, $750K.
- Panel Expert for the Secondary Career-Technical Alignment Initiative (SCTAI), Ohio Board of Regents.
- Committee member of the Statewide Users Group (SUG) of the Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC)
- Program committee member, division chair of several international conference such as “International Conference on Algorithm and Architectures for Parallel Processing”, “High Performance Computing and Communications”, and “Information Security and data protection in Future Generation Communication and Networking”.
- Reviewer of “Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science”, “Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing”, and “Parallel Computing”.
COLLABORATORS AND OTHER AFFILIATIONS
Prof. Yaohang Li (Old Dominion University), Prof. Sean S. Kohles (Portland State University); Profs. Hui Wan, Zhiqiang Wu and Bin Wang (Wright State University); Prof. Ram Mohan (NC A&T State University); Prof. William L. Melvin (Georgia Institute of Technology); Prof. Laurence Tianruo Yang (St. Francis Xavier University, Canada); Prof. Guirong Liu (University of Cincinnati); Prof. Wenbin Yu (Utah State University); Prof. Wei Ren (University of California at Riverside); Dr. Peter Chung (U.S. Army Research Lab); Dr. Vince Velten. Olga Mendoza-Schrock and Mr. Darrell Barker (U.S. Air Force); Prof. Morris Clint (Queens University, United Kingdom); Profs. Sally McClean and Marek Szularz (University of Ulster, United Kingdom).
CURRENT AND GRADUATED RESEARCH STUDENTS
- Mr. Yasin
- Mr. Michael Henderson
- Mr. Shane Fernandes
- Ms. Monica Porche
- Mr. Nabil Ali
- Mr. Lance Harris
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author.
Back to faculty & Staff Listing