Dr. Asit K. Saha
Associate Professor in Mathematics
Dr. Asit K. Saha
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Central State University
Henderson Building #143
- PhD (Intelligent Systems Engineering, Australia)
- PhD (Applied Mathematics, India)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (New Zealand)
- TISSUE ENGINEERING MODELLING (Cell-extracellular matrix interactions),
- MODELING METABOLIC PATHWAYS (Integrated Metabolic Pathways),
- MODELING HIV-AIDS & HUMAN IMMUNE SYSTEM DYNAMICS,
- MODELING HIV/AIDS- ITS SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC IMPACTS,
- MODELING DYNAMICS OF BRAIN UNDER STRESS & EXERCISE
- MODELING BIOLOGICAL PATTERN FORMATION & MORPHOGENESIS,
- MODELING CELLULAR KINETICS & EPIGENETIC MECHANISM,
- MODELING POPULATION BIOLOGY & EPIDEMIOLOGY,
- MODELING GENETIC CODING SYSTEMS,
- MODELING PUBLIC HEALTH RELATED DISEASES (EPIDEMIC)
- Recipient of 2010 Professor of Excellence Award from Southern Ohio Council of Higher Education (SOCHE), for Excellence in Teaching and Research at Central State University, Ohio, USA.
- Best Research Paper Award-2006 from University of South Australia, Adelaide for my publication in Australasian Journal of Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine (APESM). This paper is based on modeling cell-extracellular matrix interactions in engineered cartilage.
- Best Research Paper Award-2005 from University of South Australia, Adelaide for my publication in Annals of Biomedical Engineering. This paper is based on modeling cell-extracellular matrix interactions in engineered cartilage.
External Research Grant
- 2008-13: “Cell Extracellular Matrix Interaction in Tissue Engineered Cartilage” Funded by National Institutes of Health (NIH) as a Research Infrastructure for Minority Institutions (RIMI) Exploratory Program Grant No. P20 MD003350.,
Role: Principal Investigator (for sub-project 2).
- 2007-08: Research grant from Research Challenge Incentive Programs of Central State University, Wilberforce, Ohio 45384 on “The dynamics of CD4 + T-cell in presence of HIV”.
- 1991-95: Research Grant form Department of Statistics & Planning, Govt. of India for the research project on Pattern Formation during Embryonic Development.
Role: Principal Investigator.
Research Publications (Peer Reviewed International Journals)
In the field of Tissue Engineering Modeling
- Cytoskeletal Strains in Modeled Opto-Hydrodynamically-Stressed Healthy and Diseased Biological Cells, by Sean S Kohles, Yu Liang and Asit K. Saha, “Journal of Biophysics”, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 830741, 7 pages.
- Ultrasonic Wave Propagation Assessment of Native Cartilage Explants and Hydrogel Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering, by SS Kohles, SS Mason, AP Adams, RJ Berg, J Blank, F Gibson, J Righetti, IS Washington, AK Saha. “International J Biomed Eng Technol”, Vol. 10, pp: 296-307, 2012,DOI: 10.1504/IJBET.2012.050263
- Cell-Matrix Modeling of Anabolic and Catabolic Dynamics on Cartilage Biomolecule Regulation by Asit K. Saha and Sean S. Kohles, Int. Journal of Computers in HealthCare, Vol. 1, pp: 214-228, 2012, Doi:10.1504/IJCIH.2012.046995.
- Biokinetic Mechanisms Linked with Musculoskeletal Health Disparities: Stochastic Models Applying Tikhonov’s Theorem to Biomolecule Homeostasis by Asit K. Saha, Yu Liang, and Sean S. Kohles, J. Nanotechnol. Eng. Med., May 1, 2011, Volume 2, Issue 2, 021004, doi:10.1115/1.4003876.
- Three-Dimensional Culture of Cells and Matrix Biomolecules for Engineered Tissue Development and Biokinetics Model Validation by Shelley S. Mason, Sean S. Kohles, Randy D. Zelick, Shelley R. Winn, and Asit K. Saha, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, May 1, 2011, Vol. 2, Issue 2, 0250001, doi:10.1115/1.4003878
- Volumetric Stress-Strain Analysis of Opto-Hydrodynamically Suspended Biological Cells, by Sean S. Kohles, Yu Liang and Asit K. Saha, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 133(1), pp: 011004, 2011.
- A Distinct Catabolic to Anabolic Threshold Due to Single-Cell Static Nanomechanical Stimulation in a Cartilage Biokinetics Model by Asit K. Saha and Sean S. Kohles, Journal of Nanoteachnology in Engineering and Medicine, 1 (3), pp: 031005 (8 pages), doi: 1-.1115/1.4001934, 2010 .
- Periodic Nanomechanical Stimulation in a Biokinetics Model Identifying Anabolic and Catabolic Pathways Associated With Cartilage Matrix Homeostasis by Asit K. Saha and Sean S. Kohles, Journal of Nanoteachnology in Engineering and Medicine, 1(4), pp: 041001(7pages), doi:10.1115/1.4002461, 2010.
- Dynamic Matrix Composition in Engineered Cartilage with Stochastic Supplementation of Growth Factors by A. K. Saha and J. N. Mazumdar , S.S. Kohles, Australasian Journal of Engineering & Physical Sciences, (APESM), Vol. 28, No: 2, pp: 97-104, 2005.
- Prediction of Growth Factor Effects on Engineered Cartilage Composition – Using Deterministic and Stochastic Modelling by A.K. Saha , J.N. Mazumdar and S.S. Kohles , Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 6, June 2004.
- Effect of Environmental Fluctuations on the Dynamic Composition of Engineered Cartilage -- A Deterministic Model in Stochastic Environment by A.K.Saha and J. N. Mazumdar and Y. S. Morsi, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 2, pp: 158-162, 2003.
- Dynamics of Cell and its Extracellular Matrix – A simple Mathematical Approach by A. K. Saha and J. N. Mazumdar, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 2, pp:89-93, 2003.
In the field of Immune System & HIV Modeling
- HIV Deranges Immune System Dynamics through Stochastic Fluctuations by A. K. Saha and S. N. Sarbadhikari, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics (IJAMAS), Vol. 3, No: J05, pp: 52-81, 2005.
- Immune System Functions - A Simple Mathematical Approach by A. K. Saha and S. N. Sarbadhikari, Cybernetica, XL, No: 1, pp: 79-89, Belgium, 1997. (Refereed Journal).
In the field of Epidemiology Modeling
- The Asymptotic Behaviour of a LogisticEpidemic Model with Stochastic Disease Transmission (1999), by M. G. Roberts and A. K. Saha, Applied Mathematics Letters, 12, pp: 37-41, 1999.
In the field of Epigenetic Mechanisms & Cellular Kinetics Modeling
- Oscillations In A Multi-loop Negative Feed-back Control NetworkModel For Transcription And Translation During Embryogenesis by A. K. Saha and P. K. Tapaswi, Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol: 13, pp:574-583.
- Model for Epigenetic Mechanism During Embryogenesis: A Study of Oscillations in Multi-loop Biochemical Control Network by A. K. Saha and P. K. Tapaswi, International Journal of System Sciences, Vol: 19, p:1699-1718, 1988
In the field of Embryonic Pattern Formation & Morphogenesis Modeling
- Effect of Pre-assigned Gradient on Pattern Formation and Morphogenesis During Embryogenesis by A. K. Saha. Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol: 24, No: 12, pp: 49-65, Pergamon Press, USA, 1996.
- Bifurcating Pattern Formation During Cellular Differentiation and Morphogenesis by A. K. Saha and P. K. Tapaswi, Cybernetica, Vol: XXVI, pp: 245-262, 1993.
- A Stochastic Reaction Diffusion Model of the Epigenetic Mechanism: Study of Localized Fluctuations by A. K. Saha and P. K. Tapaswi, Cybernetica, vol: XXV, pp:181-193, 1992.
- Pattern Generation and Morphogenesis – A Birfurcation Analysis, by P.K.Tapaswi and A. K. Saha, Mathematical Computer Modelling, 8, pp: 599-603, Pergamon Press, USA, 1987.
- Pattern Formation and Morphogenesis - A Reaction Diffusion Model by P. K. Tapaswi and A. K. Saha, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol: 48,pp:213-228, Pergamon Press, USA, 1986.
In the field of Stress related disorder in Brain Dynamics Modeling
- Moderate exercise and chronic stress produce counteractive effects on different areas of the brain by acting through various neurotransmitter receptor subtypes: a hypothesis, by S. N. Sarbadhikari and A. K. Saha, Theoretical Biology and Medical Modeling, 3:33, 2006 Classified as all-time highly accessed article).
*This article has been accessed about 22,000 times until now since 23rd September 2006.
RESEARCH BOOK PUBLICATIONS
- Pattern Generation In Reaction Diffusion Systems(Turing Structures ) by A. Hunding and A. K. Saha, In Models of Self-Organisation in Complex Systems, Mathematical Research, Vol: 64,pp: 142-147, ed. by W. Ebeling, M.Peschel and W. Weidlich, Academie-Verlag, Berlin, 1991.
RESEARCH CONFERENCE PUBLICATIONS
- Investigate the Strain Distribution of a Biological Cell in Response to the Stress Induced by Microfluidic Flow by Sean S. Kohles, Yu Liang, Asit K. Saha, Zhenjun Shi, Robert Marcus, presented in COMSOL International Conference, Boston, USA, 7th – 9th October, 2010.
- Regulatory Mechanisms of Cytokines and Growth Factors on Engineered Cartilage Extracellular Matrix by A. K. Saha, L. C. Jain, J. N. Mazumdar and S. S. Kohles, presented as poster in “Third Annual Ohio Collaborative Conference on Bioinformatics”, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio, USA, June 2-4, 2008.
- Intracellular Mechanisms of Regulation of Muscle Metabolism During Exercise by Yanjun Li, Ranjan K. Dash, Asit K. Saha, Jaeyeon Kim, Gerald M. Saidel, Marco E. Cabrera, presented at Interagency Modeling and Analysis Group (IMAG) and Multi-scale Modeling Consortium(MSM) at Mini Symposia for 2008, SIAM Conference on the Life Sciences, August 4-7, 2008, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Modeling the Role of Exercise and Stress on Depression – A System Biological Approach, by S. N. Sarbadhikari , A. K. Saha and Sree N Sreenath, Poster presentation at International Conference on System Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 19-23 September 2005
- A Mathematical & Computer Modeling Approach to study the Dynamics of HIV within the Human Immune System by W. H. Tapio and A. K. Saha, presented at the 40th Annual Medical Symposium of Medical Society of Papua New Guinea, September 6-10, 2004.
- Impact of Education & Awareness on HIV/AIDS transmission within the female community in Papua New Guinea, A Roy and A. K. Saha. Accepted for presentation in METSMAC-2005 conference.
- Modeling of HIV mediated derangement of Immune System Dynamics by S.N. Sarbadhikari, A. K. Saha and M. Singh , Proc. National Conference On Nonlinear Systems & Dynamics, IIT, Kharagpur, India, 28-30 December 2003, pp: 197-200.
- Study of Non-Linear Oscillations In Epigenetic System During Embryogenesis by A. K. Saha and P. K. Tapaswi. Proc. International Symposium on Nonlinear Analysis and Applications to Bio-Mathematics, In collaboration with International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Italy and Andhra University, India, pp: section II, 34-41, 1988. (Refereed Conference Proceedings).
- Concept of Imposed Gradient on Embryonic Development by A. K. Saha, Proc. of RC
IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp: 2.105-2.106, 1995.
Back to faculty & Staff Listing