Fine and Performing Arts
Special Requirements for Music Education Majors
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Music in Music Education degree program should be aware of the following requirements:
- StudentsareenrolledfirstintheCollegeofArtsandSciencesandthenmustapplyforacceptanceintotheCollege of Education before being allowed to fulfill the student teaching requirement (information about application procedures and deadlines are available from the College of Education).
- Music Education majors must complete the application procedure required by the College of Education for a Student Teaching assignment.
- Music Education majors must complete all requirements of the Teacher Education and Licensure Program as stated by the Ohio Department of Education.
- Music Education majors develop competencies required by the Ohio Department of Education’s Teacher Education and Licensure Standards. Exact standards for each course are included with the syllabus.
- Music Education majors (except for those students who are piano majors) must pass a piano proficiency exam before they will be allowed to register for Student Teaching.
- Music Education majors must receive department approval to present a Senior Recital (the faculty will listen to the student perform the recital repertory at least two weeks prior to the planned recital date to judge whether the student is prepared) and must pass the Senior Recital requirement before a student will be allowed to register for Student Teaching (exceptions to this will be made only with the approval of the entire department faculty).
- Music Education majors must submit a clinical/field-based experience inventory form documenting the hours the student has been involved in clinical/field-based experience before the student will be allowed to register for Student Teaching.
Special Requirements: for All Music Majors | for Music Education Majors
James Smith, Chairperson
Paul Robeson Cultural & Performing Arts Center - Room 218
Phone: (937) 376-6403