Special Requirements For All Music Majors
The department publishes a Student Handbook containing detailed information about graduation and other requirements for all three music degrees. Students must read this information and work with their faculty advisors to ensure that each requirement is fulfilled before graduation.
All music majors must meet the following requirements (other additional requirements specific to each degree are outlined in the Student Handbook):
- All students must audition on their instrument and receive departmental approval before registering for a principal applied class.
- Each student enrolled in a degree program in music must pass comprehensive junior and senior examinations.
- Music students are required to participate in department ensembles (please see the Student Handbook for information about the ensemble requirements for each degree program).
- Music Education majors must register for and pass seven semester hours of Student Recital MUS 1000 and Music Performance majors must register for and pass eight semester hours of Student Recital MUS 1000.
- Music students must perform on a Student Recital program once each semester they are enrolled in principal applied courses, except for the first semester they are registered.
- Music students must attend studio classes organized by their principal applied instructors.
- Students must apply for graduation during the fall semester of the academic year in which they plan to graduate (information about application procedures, deadlines and fees is available from the Registrar’s Office).