About the Department
The Department of Humanities includes the disciplines of English, History, International Languages & Literatures, Journalism & Digital Media, Philosophy & Religion, and Theatre.
The Humanities department supports the mission of Central State University; educates students in their B.A. and Minor fields and in General Education courses; stresses critical, independent thinking in its curricula; and supports the creative and professional growth of both students and faculty.
The Humanities faculty strives to:
- Help students develop strong written and spoken communication skills
- Provide stimulating interdisciplinary curricula in all programs
- Deliver innovative teaching, including hands-on and real-world experiences
- Support student and faculty research and other creative activities that promote professional growth and enrich campus and wider community life
- Teach students to become independent, critical, committed and confident thinkers as foundations for life-long learning and successes in an increasingly global society
- Advise and mentor students toward their full development
- Assure success of the Strategic Academic and Enrollment Management (SAEM) and Speed to Scale initiatives.