Central State University 2017 Honors Day
Celebrating Academic Excellence
On Tuesday, April 4, Central State University will honor more than 275 students with grade point averages of 3.2 or above during its annual Honors Day Convocation. Honors Day recognizes full-time students who have attained high scholastic standing.
The Honors Categories are as follows:
- The Class Scholar award goes to the highest-ranking student in each class. When more than one student shares the highest grade point average, the award is presented to the student who has earned the greatest number quality points. The graduating senior with the highest grade point average is designated as the Senior Class Scholar.
- Gold Cord Honors are awarded to graduating seniors with a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 and above with “C” or better grades.
- College Honors are awarded to students with a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 and above.
- Class Honors are awarded to students with a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 to 3.49.
- The Central State University Board of Trustees awards a Certificate of Congratulations to every senior graduating with a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 and above.
Senior Transfer Students are eligible for honors if they have earned at least 24 semester hours at Central State University and if their transfer credits also meet the required standards.
The 2017 Top Scholars are pictured from left to right:
- Mr. Charles Chirume, Columbus, Ohio, Freshman Class Scholar
- Ms. Rhesa Davis, West Friendship, MD., Senior Class Scholar
- Ms. Arame Diouf, Dakar, Senegal, Sophomore Class Scholar
- Mr. Bryan Williams, Chicago, Ill., Junior Class Scholar
Central State has eight Honors Organizations. They are:
- Alpha Kappa Mu
A National Honor Society open to junior and senior men and women and graduates within all academic disciplines.
- Beta Beta Beta
A National Biological Honor Society for undergraduate students
- Central State University Honors Program
A 3.5 grade point average and at least 32 credit hours are required for admission to the program.
- Chi Alpha Epsilon
A National Honor Society for general studies which promotes and recognizes academic success among students who come from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
- Delta Mu Delta – Xi Xi
A National Honor Society for students in the field of business.
- Psi Chi International
An International Honor Society for psychology majors.
- Sigma Beta Delta International
An International Honor Society for students in business, management and administration.